Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup



I had a few people ask for my Cheesy Potato Soup recipe. Honestly, I've never made it before today (other than opening a can of Campbell's). I googled cheesy potato soup and found tons of recipes but of course I couldn't find 1 that met my tastes, my families taste (except Preston, who eats anything, love ya), or had what I had in my kitchen pantry/fridge. So here is more-or-less how I made it.

6 medium potatos - diced
2 chicken boiullon cubes
1 can of evaporated milk, (I'm sure regular milk would do just as well)
1/2 lb cooked bacon, cut up small
1 cup of broccoli, cut up extra fine
4-6 oz of velveeta, cubed
pepper to taste
salt to taste (be careful, the bacon & cheese makes it pretty salty, taste before adding)
flour or cornstarch to thicken as you prefer

I boiled the potatoes, then drained about 1/2-3/4 of the water. Added evaporated milk, 2 chicken boiullon cubes, and velveeta. Heat over medium heat until cheese starts to melt, then add bacon and broccoli. Let everything get warm and melty, stirring almost constantly. Add conrstarch or flour to thicken as you like it, or milk to thin it out. Heat until the broccoli is tender. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Most recipes called for onion (which I refuse to eat, nasty!), celery, some for carrots, garlic (Preston complains I put too much in all the time, you can't go wrong with it in my opinion). Basically, I just took what I liked and what my family (mainly kids) would eat and went with it. It turned out great! It made approx. 3/4 a 5qt pot full, or about 5-6 bowls full.
If you try it, ENJOY!

No comments: